AVAG in association with Pitchandikulam Forest created Spirulina production units that employ rural women, and work to support the transition of these into a network of self-managed enterprises. Spirulina is a protein and nutrient-rich algae considered a super-food by NASA.
What is Spirulina?
Spirulina is a natural protein supplement that offers several health benefits without the risk of side-effects. It is a blue-green algae that occurs naturally in water bodies with high pH and high concentrations of carbonates and bicarbonates.
This spiral shaped organism can be up to 70% protein by weight. More than just a dietary supplement, Spirulina is a lifestyle, in the sense that its benefits have the capacity for positively altering its consumer’s lifestyle and energy levels.
Benefits of Spirulina
Spirulina is primarily taken as a protein supplement but has innumerous health benefits in addition to this which make it a valuable part of a daily diet.
- Beneficial antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and a complete food supplement.
- Increases energy and supports the brain and nervous system.
- Fights anemia and allergies. Lowers blood pressure and the chances of strokes.
- Improves dental, skin & hair health and wound recovery.
- Regulates sugar, cholesterol and diabetes.
- Helps with muscle strength, glucose metabolism and digestion.
- Spirulina helps with neurological disorders, arthritis, hyperlipidemia, hypertension and to have positive effects on fatty liver.
Who makes it?
Surya Spirulina is produced by a women’s social enterprise started by AVAG with a shared dream of a healthy, sustainable future for all.
Purchasing Surya Spirulina empowers rural women, supporting them to improve the quality of their lives and secure a better future for their children. By supporting this enterprise, you will not only improve not only improve your own health but also the health of the people of the Auroville bio-region.