AVAG’s Psychosocial Services program aims to protect and support the emotional, mental, spiritual, and physical health of all individuals, so that they may best participate in their own empowerment, and in the betterment of the community.
AVAG offers Somatic Experiencing, Energy Healing, Health Education, Addiction Awareness,
Self-Analysis workshops and other relevant trainings and practices, as well as legal counselling.
Psychosocial services landing body energy healing workshop at avag
- Although AVAG has always carried out individual and group counselling work, this program got intensified in 2009 as a response to an internal report showing that annual deaths by suicide for two consecutive years among our SHGs amounted to 7-8 women per year. In addition, 8-10 suicide attempts were reported annually.
- AVAG decided to intervene and began providing emotional, psychological, and mental support to individuals and groups.
- A series of Energy healing workshops were conducted to train the AVAG staff and Federation members in healing practices.
- The Resolution which is jointly recited at the start of any major AVAG event by the gathered group members was slightly altered. A sentence was added in the end making a promise to not attempt suicide and be grateful for the large network of emotional support available to the women through the Federation.
- As a result of these efforts, the suicide rate has dropped to 0 or 1 per year since 2011-12.
This program has given a lot of credibility to AVAG, and it is one of the most fulfilling works of the organization.
I was struggling to pay the school fee of my elder daughter, and receiving an AVAG-AVVAI loan meant that I did not take her out of school against her wish, because thanks to Auroville Village Action Group, I was able to pay.
I am working as a gardener and my husband is a farmer. We have two daughters, one studying nursing and the other in class twelve. Before I had heard about AVVAI, I thought about getting money from money lenders at a 60% interest rate per year.
We could see the excellent talents within all women. Especially this debate was wonderful. It looked like that this is happening in a big auditorium. This is totally new to all of us.
Women should be like this but they were kept aside. But women can do everything and it was truly proved only in this place. We were not happy in other places but here we are very happy. Even though we have sorrows at home, when we come here, Anbu Akka (sister) make us happy.
Amazing to see a huge women’s crowd. The way Anbu Akka and Village Action staff arrange this big event, is equal to 15 Tamil marriages. Much effort has been taken. Very useful for the people and I have seen them enjoying and happy. All sorrows have been forgotten. So it is a nice platform which you are creating Akka. It is really great!
We have friendship with all the women beyond caste (barriers). We feel that we have large family relations here to support us. This gives us courage, confidence, and there is a feeling of new energy within us.
At AVAG, I get the opportunity to connect with others and share my worries. This place helps me forget my hardships and I am very happy on the days I come to AVAG.
AVAG taught me to share my opinions and to speak well by listening to other’s opinions and responding. I experienced sharing and my talents have been nurtured here.
AVAG offered me timely help when I needed Medical Aid. Here I have learnt to differentiate right from wrong and have received recognition from my village as well as other federation members.
AVAG offers help to everyone and here I get the opportunity to meet people from different villages. I feel that AVAG is doing something new. As a member of the AVAG family, I can share my happiness and sorrows without any hesitation.