AVAG in association with Pitchandikulam Forest created Spirulina production units that employ rural women, and work to support the transition of these into a network of self-managed enterprises. Spirulina is a protein and nutrient-rich algae considered a superfood by NASA.
What is Spirulina?
Spirulina is a natural protein supplement that offers several health benefits without the risk of side effects. It is a blue-green algae that occurs naturally in water bodies with high pH and high concentrations of carbonates and bicarbonates.
This spiral shaped organism can be up to 70% protein by weight. More than just a dietary supplement, Spirulina is a lifestyle, in the sense that its benefits have the capacity for positively altering its consumers’ lifestyle and energy levels.
Benefits of Spirulina
Spirulina is primarily taken as a protein supplement but has innumerous health benefits in addition to this which make it a valuable part of a daily diet.
- Beneficial antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and a complete food supplement.
- Increases energy and supports the brain and nervous system.
- Fights anemia and allergies. Lowers blood pressure and the chances of strokes.
- Improves dental, skin & hair health and wound recovery.
- Regulates sugar, cholesterol and diabetes.
- Helps with muscle strength, glucose metabolism and digestion.
- Spirulina helps with neurological disorders, arthritis, hyperlipidemia, hypertension and to have positive effects on fatty liver.
Who makes it?
Surya Spirulina is produced by a women’s social enterprise started by AVAG with a shared dream of a healthy, sustainable future for all.
Purchasing Surya Spirulina empowers rural women, supporting them to improve the quality of their lives and secure a better future for their children. By supporting this enterprise, you will not only improve your own health but also the health of the people of the Auroville bio-region.